4 James St
Bassendean WA 6054
PO Box 428
Bassendean WA 6934
St Michael’s School and St Joseph’s Parish have a long standing positive relationship that goes back to 1914 (the school was known as St Joseph’s School until 1948 when the priest of the day changed it to St Michael’s). We share the same site which is actually owned by the Archbishop of Perth. We even share facilities such as the hall and kindergarten. Up until a few years ago, the parish gave financial contributions to the school each year to assist with the running costs.
In 2000, the old hall burnt down, and in partnership, the school and parish built the new hall we share today with funds coming from loans, contributions from the community and the sale of Church land in Ashfield. In 1998, a new kindergarten was built on the site of the original presbytery and the building was shared by the school and groups within the parish. However, at the start of 2012, the parish agreed to give the parish annexe to the school so we could have a bigger kindergarten which now meets the standards as set out by the Federal Government. This new and bigger resource is a win/win for both of us as the Parish Playgroup also get a much better resource to use. In return, the school now maintains the gardens around the Church and presbytery as a gesture of thanks and cooperation. we have renamed the Special Education Centre the St Joseph’s Centre in recognition of the close ties that exist between the school and parish.
As mentioned in the school history, St Michael’s School is the school that serves the Parish of St Joseph’s Bassendean. We are fortunate to have a Church so close as this provides the children with a real sense of belonging to the wider Catholic community. Our Parish Priest is Fr Son Nguyen and he plays a vital role in the spiritual life of our school.
Families and children are encouraged to participate in the parish in a variety of ways. The most important of which is the celebration of the Eucharist together. Our Mass Times are:
|Confessions and Rosary||7.20am - 7.40am|
(Mondays – Communion Service)
(School Participation Fortnightly)
|Reconciliation:||Saturday||5.30pm - 6.20pm|
|Sunday||8.30am - 8.50am|
|Adoration Chapel:||Open 24 hours|
Prayer groups, a Choir, Legion of Mary and many other groups can be found active in this community. Our parish could always use help with reading, commentating, Church cleaning and several other activities. If you would like to join or assist in any of these activities please see your P&F class representative for information.
Boys and Girls are encouraged to assist the Parish Priest as altar servers. The boys and girls are invited to join the serving group in Year 4 following their First Communion.
Be with us always and guide us to live as followers of Christ.
Help us to show a kind heart and a helping hand to those in need.
Unite our school community in faith, compassion, truth and service as we live our Mercy values.
Pray for us.